CHCH News clip St. Catharines pool chlorine Accident
the idea girl says
we went for a walk that night and had to get back in the house after about 2 minutes.
our home was downwind from this pool and we were gagging from the strong chlorine smell.
sick for 3 days, afterwards!
Found out on the 4th day about this accident…
Twelve people were taken to hospital on Thursday afternoon after an accidental chemical mix at a swimming pool in St. Catharines, Ont., exposed them to a dangerous gas.
Ten of the people who were at Lion Dunc Schooley Pool have since been released, but two people remain at St. Catharines General Hospital.
St. Catharines fire chief Mark Mehlenbacher told CityNews that six pool patrons, five pool employees and a contractor were hospitalized Thursday afternoon. Their ages ranged from seven to 50.
The contractor mistakenly pumped 20 gallons of chlorine into a tank of muriatic acid which produced chlorine gas at Lion Dunc Schooley pool at around 1 p.m.
this leads to a $10,000,000 lawsuit (good for them!)
The City of St. Catharines and a Mississauga pool chemicals firm have been slapped with a $10-million class action lawsuit after a chlorine spill at a city pool in July.
In a statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court in Brampton, the city and Aquatech Logistics Inc. are named as co-defendants in the lawsuit. The suit itself was launched by Toronto law firm REOlaw, on behalf of St. Catharines resident Don MacLennan and his seven-year-old daughter, Vanessa, who were injured during the spill at Lion Dunc Schooley Pool on Seymour Ave. on July 12.
The lawsuit alleges a worker from Aquatech Logistics poured 90 litres of chlorine into a tank that held 900 litres of muriatic acid. That caused a large cloud of chlorine gas to engulf the pool area.
Between 180 and 200 people were affected by the spill. Twelve people were taken to hospital, including the MacLennans.